Is there a way to help your brain to work better, and more efficiently? The good news is that there are ways that you can nourish your brain cells so you enjoy better brain function. There is a relationship between what you eat and how you live, and how healthy your brain is, and how well it works. The bad news (maybe) is that you may have to educate your taste buds to make it happen.
Things to do to improve brain function
• Eat more of the Omega-3 fatty acids such as yellow fin tuna, wild salmon, and flaxseed meal (mix it in with your oatmeal or cold cereal).
• Eggs have choline which is linked to good brain function.
• Incorporate more antioxidants into your diet. This includes foods such as citrus, and especially blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, and pomegranate. Coffee is high in antioxidants as is green tea. Dark chocolate and garlic provide powerful antioxidants. Avocados are another super food.
• Complex carbohydrates supply much-needed sugar for brain function in its best form. Think brown rice, whole grains, sweet potatoes, and fresh fruit among other things. (Tip: if your family is not accustomed to whole wheat bread, pasta, etc., introduce it a little at a time.)
• Mom was right: eat your green leafy vegetables, tomatoes, and broccoli. They provide good nutritional support for many body systems including your brain.
• Spinach and cranberries may help prevent memory loss diseases such as Alzheimer Disease.
• Drink lots of water. If your brain is dehydrated, it is difficult to think well.
• Exercise. Thirty minutes of gentle walking three times a week will help you think better.
How to drain your brain
• Consume simple sugars including soda, sugary energy drink, and fruit juice. They contribute to blood sugar crashes, type 2 diabetes, and obesity, as well putting you on a high/low blood sugar ride.
• Meals that are high in carbohydrates will make you feel sleepy.
• Using nicotine will constrict your veins decreasing blood flow to your brain.
• Be a couch potato, and overeat.
• Refuse to learn anything new.
Do some research on your own to learn more. Don't you think it's worth a lifestyle change to have a better life?